'My View' Header

'My View' Runner Chases The Severn Bore Nr Minsterworth At Sunrise. 13th January 2013

Welcome

Welcome to ‘My View ’ through painters eyes with a camera.

Navigate

Navigation

When you visit this page you will see the latest feature or interest, this will be replaced every few days or quicker and then drop off the page into ‘Archive Pictures’ and ‘View by Subject And News’ on the right side of the home page. Select your favourite subject or News for latest postings which will appear at the top of the lists.

All pictures are also available to see in ‘Archive Pictures’ by year and month

I hope you enjoy ‘My View’

Andy Sharpe

Monday 24 September 2012

Severn Bore Maisemore Bridge 18.09.12


 
Severn Bore 18th September 2012

What started off as another trip to meet the Severn Bore, turned out to be much more. For those who have not seen one, they are not all the same, a 1 star Bore is as exciting as a 5 star, to me anyway. I love the unpredictable and  I love the elements taking charge. Today I thought I would make a short video of the bore leaving Maisemore Bridge on its way to Maisemore Weir. Trees swayed and fidgeted about in the cool north westerly breeze, while fluffy clouds passed by. I set the tripod up and composed my view, did some preliminary test shots and decided on some settings. I then thought I would just take a walk across the bridge looking south towards Gloucester, straight into the direction of the sun; always a challenge at this location. Suddenly a lad appeared fully equipped with suit and surf board. He thought he may have been too late, so I said best get a move on - as it turned out he had plenty of time. Better to be early than late of course. I’m reminded of the time I was driving parallel with the bore approaching Maisemore Bridge a few years ago, I just about made it, car door flung open as I came to a stop. As the surfer made his way down river I thought I would do a sequence of shots with another camera and longer lens, so many thanks to Matthew for putting on a great display coming towards the bridge. After watching the approaching wave I picked him up as he got on, staying with it for some time. He had the Severn Bore to himself which is always special to watch. I’m sure he will be back for more. After taking some more shots of the wave coming towards the bridge (always a spectacular sight) it was turn round a bit quick and off to the other side of the bridge to carry on with filming. Some quick adjustments as the bore emerged from under the bridge below me, hit the record button and conclude things with a short video that captures the bores final moments before reaching  its end at Maisemore Weir.

Andy Sharpe